RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: [FD] FD should block attachments

--On Monday, April 05, 2004 09:04:36 AM -0500 Bart.Lansing@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Paul,

Just a thought here...as you're right, having some modicum of
consideration for those who have cost issues with bandwidth (I'll content
that we are not spoiled, and that we...ok...most of us...pay for the
bandwidth we use...TANSTAFL).  However, you are assuming that anyone who
wishes to potentially send a file along here can just as easily host
one.  Not, I think, a valid assumption...and one which, for many...would
cost money.  So, who gets to pay?  Either someone is paying to download,
if they are on a  pay-as-you go model, or someone is going to pay to
host...either way, it's not quite as simple as you've made it out to be.

You make an interesting point, and it has some validity.

What immediately came to my mind when I read that was the spammers. They expect to shift the cost of what they do to the recipients. Is that what should be the standard for security researchers as well?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member