Re: ZA Security Hole

Damjan Kreft wrote:

Hello!

I think, I discover some kind of security hole in ZoneAlaram - any version.
The problem is hidding in E-mail Protection. Because I'm form Slovenia (not
Slovakia), our alphabet does have some letters with roof (c - č, s - š, z -
ž). And when the name of e-mail attachment contain any of these three
letters, it don't go to the qurarantine (if the attachment do have right
extension of course).

Greets, Damjan

I played around a bit to find out whether my own computer (with ZoneAlarm Pro) was vulnerable and, accidentally, found a similar behaviour from my ISPs mailserver, apparently being Exim 4.24.

When attaching any 'normally' named .EXE, my email is returned to me by Exim, with a note saying: "This kind of attachment is not good for you.....".
If I rename the same .EXE to, say, (c).exe, it gets delivered and ZoneAlarm lets it in without quarantining it.

Two bugs for the price of one!

cheers Samps