RE: [Full-Disclosure] Why should one buy (or not) an Appliance-based security gateway?

I haven't done too much research into appliance-based devices but you would
guess that are set up for one purpose.

If I was going to build a Snort IDS box, it wouldn't have telnet open and it
wouldn't use HTTP (unless I was using ACID, then I would use SSL).

If I wanted to make a DHCP server - I would take Linux and strip the kernel
of all unneeded modules and recompile. Turn off all unneeded services and
make the image reuseable.

Appliance-based devices should use the same idea. But maybe they are like
cars. You can buy a sports car...which is designed for speed. Yet the fuel
map isn't tuned like it could be and that is a lot of back pressure in the
exhaust.

Basically, it comes down to how much do you want to learn about network
security and how secure do you want to me. Will properly fine-tuned homemade
system beat an applicance? - yes!. But can everyone built that system, No!

Wow did that make any sense? lol