Re: [Full-Disclosure] Why should one buy (or not) an Appliance-based security gateway?

--On Friday, July 30, 2004 02:55:04 PM -0300 Bernardo Santos Wernesback <bernardo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A few colleagues and I started a discussion as to why one should or shouldn't buy an appliance-based firewall, ids/ips or other security appliance instead of installing software on a server.

We thought about patching, performance, and other reason for each option
but I'd like to hear what other people think.

I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts with me.

1) Most appliance-based devices do not allow access to the operating system from the application. In fact, they don't even allow access to the application, except for its configuration.

2) Most appliance-based devices have a kernel and OS that is specifically built (or the latest buzz word "purpose-built") for the service they provide, making them capable of running on lower speed processors and lower memory footprints than a general purpose OS (or conversely, capable of doing a great deal more with the same CPU speed and memory footprint.)

Those are the two main benefits that I hear most often touted. I haven't done any research into those claims. Perhaps someone else has?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member