Re: [Full-Disclosure] Cisco LEAP exploit tool...

On Apr 14, 2004, at 19:43, Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh] wrote:
Well, that really depends, doesn't it. We're doing IPSEC using AES for
wireless on a test network. It's a good deal more secure than our wired
network, which is still plain text.

this sure is plain text but when combined with switches ( yes i know they can be degraded to act like hubs ) it is not broadcasting any info. so unless the intruder manages to get a physical wire in the net it is *very* secure

Or gets access to a machine with a physical connection - a very nice way of upgrading from a single compromised client. Picture what would happen if the next email worm included an active password-collection feature.

This issue has become rather repetitive - we've gone through how many different revisions of wireless network security now? All of them have had flaws and those flaws have been more serious than they should have been because everyone was working under the same fundamental misconception that trusting the network is ever a good idea.

Consider how much more secure the average user would be if all of the time wasted on various wireless security systems had instead been spent enabling the strong end-to-end encryption already included in most common services.

Chris