The Return of Carolyn Meinel (was Re: [Full-Disclosure] ron1n phone home...)

Curt Purdy wrote:

> Bugtraq Security Systems wrote:
> > We at BSS (Bugtraq Security Systems) are proud to announce
> > the publication
> > of a series of next generation whitepapers detailing advances in many
> > areas of the information security realm. We have dubbed this
> > series the
> > guides to Mostly Harmless Hacking and feel it will direct new
> > and upcoming
> > talent onto the shining path of the whitehat way.
> <snip>

> We would like to take this oppurtunity to thank the granny hacker from
> heck herself (c.meinel@xxxxxxxxxxx) for her support and cooperation in
> publishing these next generation ideas and hope this will give a little back
> to the community of which we've received so much.

Oh. My. God. I thought that the first post was a delayed April Fool's
Prank. I feel as though the world has been stood on end. This is posted (in
part) by none other than Carolyn Meinel, who is coming from the same site
as Jay D. Dyson (someone I respect). Jay's been affiliated, off and on,
with Attrition. One of the more interesting things about the folk at
attrition is that they're a *bit* outspoken. One of the older pages on
Attrition discusses Ms. Meinel at length.

http://www.attrition.org/errata/charlatan/shame/

{Curt says:}
> Very cool concept.  Kind of like learning to hack with a conscience.

Man, you haven't been around long. I've thought that most of your posts
seemed reasonable, more or less, but this sort of snake oil ought to be
exposed. What I don't understand is how someone so reviled could end up
smack in the middle of people I thought had more sense (I'm not referring
to you here, but I'm a bit surprised at some of the folk on bugtraq.org).

> Although I am a "security professional" and have been hacking since back in
> the BBS days (but never cracked without prior authorization, but have to
> admit it is the most fun short of sex when you do, and get paid for it), I
> am looking forward to future chapters.  I might even learn something ;)

Personally, I don't care whether further chapters get published, or not. I
love this list, unmoderated, high noise level, and all. It might be high on
noise, now and then, but it's allowed me to dump all the security focus
mailing lists I used to be on. By combining this and Vuln Watch, I see most
everything that I need to, and miss out on a whole lot of CSS discussions
that I can live without.

So? Did the (security) world undergo a sea change while I slept? Has CM
suddenly become part of the *in* crowd? No matter how odd things are, they
can get stranger.

--
Lisa Dean, chief privacy officer for the Transportation Security
Administration, applauded (Google acquiring Acxiom), noting that the

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html