RE: [Full-Disclosure] Xmas virus on the cards ?

This seems to take advantage of an IE 6.0 (prior to Windows XP SP2)
"feature"...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/networking/monik
er/overview/appendix_a.asp

In short, when IE is NOT given any other hints as to the type of content of
a particular link - that is, the link does not come from <A IMG...> or an
HTML email message with MIME type information in it, but simply is pointed
right at http://foo.com/I_am_not_really_an_image.JPG - IE will evaluate the
header bytes of the object, a la the UNIX "file" command, and if it is one
of I think 28 formats that IE can puzzle out, IE will "helpfully" launch it
with the "correct" handler application.

This is clearly taking "serve pedantically, accept openly" waaaay too far.

Actually, even Microsoft realizes this. Our named MS support rep told me
that XP SP2 will address this. I hope he means that it will totally remove
this Bad Idea(TM) from IE, but only time will tell that.

Simple example, put up a copy of something_innocuous.exe and label it
something_innocuous.jpg and then point your web browse straight at
http://the.host/something_innocuous.jpg.  It won't appear as a broken JPG
image - it will ask you if you want to open or save the executable...

-Jay Libove, CISSP