[Full-Disclosure] Xmas virus on the cards ?

Hi all -

I noticed this article at http://www.vnunet.com/News/1151553 and it looks
alarming - however did not find any more details.

If I understand well an HTML file is renamed to JPG and attached to an email.
However I did not manage to reproduce this.

This is my summary of the article:

1. xmas card emails to LEAD to innocent images which are not images but have
viruses

2. Mail Filtering systems should handle images just like HTML files + educate

3. ISS reports that this was on a hacker mailing list

4. techniques to bypass firewalls by MISLABELLING html files as JPGs

5. Steven Darrall is a senior consultant at ISS X-Force Security Assessment
Services

6. The problem is caused by Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) web browser
automatically opening files labelled with .jpg or .gif extensions.

7. Hackers have posted a proof-of-concept file in which the content was a
script that caused the browser to download and install a virus according to
Darrall

8. The site serving the virus has since been shut down

Is the image an attachment or is it simply a link to a .jpg file on an HTTP
server? Did anyone manage to reproduce this or can point to the original post
on the "hacker mailing list" which describes this?

- Sec-Squirrel :)

Free Poetry Contest. Win $10,000. Submit your poem @ Poetry.com!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6750922;3807821;l?http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?Suite=A59101

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.