Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: FWD: Internet Explorer URL parsing vulnerability

Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@ghettot.org> wrote:

> > http://www.microsoft.com%01@www.linux.org
> >  wont work until you
> > unescape('http://www.microsoft.com%01@www.linux.org');
>
> Out of sheer curiosity (no MSIE at hand)... would it work with:

> ...meaning, put literal ASCII character #001 in a href tag, as opposed to
> using JavaScript or alikes?

I just posted a reply to the OP's message on Bugtraq about my tests of
precisely this (half expect it won't appear there, but...).
Unfortunately, I forgot to keep a copy of that message so can't just
repost those comments here.

In short, it appears you can use a 0x01 character instead of the "%01
and unescape" combo the OP used.

Further, I looked at using this in an http-equiv=refresh "redirect"
situation.  In a straight use of that approach, it failed (using either
the %01 or 0x01 character method), but worked if you used a script to
write the http-equiv=refresh statement into the document.  I don't have
a suitable server set-up handy at the moment to test whether it works
in a server-side redirect.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.