RE: [Full-Disclosure] automated vulnerability testing

 Yes, whether a particular program is secure is ultimately the problem of
the choices of a programmer. And one of those choices is the choice of
programming language. As I said before, it takes a good programmer to
program securely in C because C requires the programmer to more housekeeping
to keep track of variable usage, pointer validity, array size, string size,
buffer size, stack size argument matching, etc. than other programming
languages. A programming god can do it and they can write secure code in C.
   But nearly all programmers are not programming gods but just mortals. So
they can't keep track of all the details of security that C requires more
than other languages. Programs written in C are more likely to be insecure
than in other languages because these other languages don't have strings
with unlimited possible size, have proper arrays and bounds checks on them,
have garbage collection (or at least allocation lifetime tracking) etc. It
takes a lot more work to write secure C code than practically any other
language even if one can write secure C. That is why I said that if someone
intends their code to be secure, they will choose another programming
language. The use a tool that can help them with security, not require a lot
of extra work to be secure.
  It is a bit of a vicious circle. Since most software is written in C,
every one learning programming learns to program in C. But that just
perpetuates the dominance of C. C is to programming languages as Microsoft
is to OS. It creates a monoculture where the design flaws of the language
get perpetuated into the design flaws of all the programs written in that
language.
   Oh, I have been programming in C since 1974, when I used one of the first
Unices on a PDP11-45. I have a first edition of Kernigan and Ritchie and I
like using it. But I recognize its limitations.