RE: [Full-Disclosure] Administrivia: Testing Emergency Virus Filter..

"Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls@utdallas.edu> to Richard M. Smith:

> > The email infrastructure (SMTP servers, POP servers,
> > Web-based email systems, list serve software, etc) should all
> > be doing the same stripping of exectuables.
> >
> I would go farther.  SMTP was never designed as a file transfer
> mechanism, and it should not allow file transfer.  This would solve both
> the problem of email attachment viruses *and* the scourge of the
> Internet, HTML email.

Whilst I understand the attraction of this idea, I have two _major_
objections to it:

1.  Some of us _REALLY DO_ have to receive executable and like
attachments.  Dealing with folk for whom it is a major accomplishment
to talk through attaching any file to an Email message so you can get a
copy of some suspect file off their (very remote from you) machines is
part and parcel of normal day-to-day work for a small but significant
number of technical folk.  The problem is not that _we_ cannot handle
the technology but that those who most need help have a great deal of
trouble with it.  If your "solution" to this problem is to sugegst that
some new file transfer mechanism should be devised and implementations
widely distributed, then you will simply move the target of choice for
the bad guys from SMTP to "Paul And Richard's Excellent And Easy To Use
New File Transfer Protocol" because you can guarantee that some popular
OS developer's implementors will feel the need for an auto-accept
option and a little tick box in the "Do you want to accept FileX from
PersonY" dialog that says "Do not show me this message again" (if you
work for MS, yes that is directed at you).

2.  I suspect that Mr Turing and a his halting problem will intervene
in any attempt to devise a foolproof "this message contains an
attachment" mechanism.  The obvious choice to break any such system is
steganographic encoding of a binary stream into a text message.  It may
be grossly inefficient, but do you think that really matters?

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.