Re: [Full-disclosure] Security benefits of spliting services between two ISP providers

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 09:14:56 EDT, Frank Laszlo said:

You never really want to utilize 100% of your bandwidth, you should always have some "extra" bandwidth "just in case." Sure, there are costs involved, but as a business, surely one could make the decision on whether or not to push it as an expense, or take the risk of only having 1 connection. I personally wouldnt split the services between the two ISPs, I would simple have another connection for those "just in case" situations. If a business relies heavily on internet, you shouldnt be worried about a few extra bucks for a redundent connection. Just my 2 cents.

When a "few extra bucks" is $2,000/month, you start looking at it differently.

(NetworkVirginia commercial pricing is $1175/mo for a T-1 (1.5mbits), and if the
original poster has 3mbits/sec, it's 2 T-1s. So $2,000/mo isn't just a wild-ass
guess).

You really have to put it into perspective. $2,000/mo to a small company is a lot of money, sure. But overall, any medium to large size company will find it a very small investment for an even greater return. The return being redudency. Which is why i said it woulc be a corporate decision to make such an investment. If they company can afford it, By all means they should.

Regards,
   Frank