[Full-disclosure] Benign Worms

Hi,

I am an academic researcher. I benefited a lot during my previous interaction at the full disclosure list on a different topic and now, I am here to get some input on benign worms.

There is debate surrounding whether releasing benign worms such as Nachi or Welcha, in general is ethical or not. But network administrators can still create benign worms for their need (not necessarily Nachi or Welcha) and release them in their domain to patch systems.

1. Do people do that?  Or at least, have you considered it?

2. If yes, under what conditions would you do that?

3. If not, what prevents you from doing that?

Best
Karthik