[Full-disclosure] NIC Chile CGI Script Zone Transfers

NIC Chile CGI Script Zone Transfers.

Autor: Rodrigo Gutierrez <rodrigo at intellicomp.cl>

Affected: All ".cl" domains which use NIC's Chile Secondary NS.

Vendor url: http://www.nic.cl

Rate: Critical (*)

Background.

NIC Chile is a part of the University of Chile and is in charge of handling
all the registrations for the ".cl"(CHILE) tld.

Description

One of NIC Chile's websites host a cgi script which allow you to grep the zone
files in their secondary name server. (*) Even though I wouldn't have rate this
vulnerability as Critical, I noticed that government (gob.cl) and Chile's
central
bank (bcentral.cl) within others use NIC Chile's secondary name server. in
other
words you are able to get a copy of the zone file for gob.cl ... ouch!.

Impact

If you are an attacker, looking for names such as vpn, mysql, firewall, oracle
and
so on can help identify specific targets and internal network addresses without
large detectable footprint.   By trace routing the addresses in the zone files
you
can make a pretty good guess of the topology of the networks as well to where
strike first ;).

Exploit

http://secundario.nic.cl/cgi-bin/zone-grep?domain_without_the_dot_cl

The example bellow will show you the zone file for the foobar.cl domain.

#------------ CUT HERE -------------

http://secundario.nic.cl/cgi-bin/zone-grep?foobar

Workaround.

Figure it out!.

Comments

1.- Our friends at NIC Chile should be more careful about which scripts to host
on their
web servers, or at least protect them.

2.- The government people should really buy themselves a secondary dns server
instead of
depending in servers with unknown configurations.