Re: [Full-Disclosure] Question for DNS pros

VX Dude wrote:

named exploits are usefull for finding out what's
inside a named.conf even in chroot jails.

- 2 cents

--- Paul Schmehl <pauls@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can this be done?

Conditions:
1) You know an IP address that is running a DNS
server. (IOW, it responds to digs.)
2) You do not know the hostname or domain of the
host.
3) The DNS server does not allow zone transfers.

You want to find out *all* the domains that that DNS
server is authoritative for. (Essentially you're trying to
find out what's in the named.conf file rather than zone file info.)

Has anyone written a tool that can do this? I
thought about the possibility of parsing all the registration sites
for the Primary and Backup NS, but that would take forever. I imagine
you could write a perl script that would access the web interfaces, do the
queries and return the results, but it would run for days...

Paul Schmehl (pauls@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member