Re: [Full-Disclosure] New MyDoom or Netsky variant?

Vic Vandal wrote:

Anyone seeing what looks like a brand new MyDoom variant?
Comes in e-mail as a message.zip, extracts to a message.doc
followed by a LOT of spaces and then a .pif extension.
I've only started to look at the encoded attachment, but
someone who opened it had a LSASS.EXE start up and take
about 96% CPU utilization.  I scanned the offending Outlook
attachment with the latest Symantec sigs, but it didn't recognize
it.  The .pif appears to be packed with UPX.

Don't use symantec for fast updates. They only update liveupdate 1-2 per week. If you want updates more often, you have grab their intelligent updater manually (1 per day), or grab their beta updates (also manually).

Only if they regard the virus to be a serious threat, they offer an
immediate liveupdate. For something as mail protection, they are too slow.
Then again, you don't use symantec products on a mail server.

Regards,

Niek Baakman

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html