Re: [Full-Disclosure] Is Mozilla's "patch" enough?

Aviv Raff wrote:
How can it not be a security flaw of mozilla if a setting in the
user.js overrides the global security setting defined by a patch, and
any manual setting defined by the user through the about:config?

I understand that if an attacker has the ability to change the user.js
file he can do worse things, but why should there be a way to override
security patches without uninstalling them?

I think user.js (or the lockPref settings in mozila.cfg) makes Mozilla
more spyware/worms oriented.

Please explain your point.

AFAIK, the preferences component of Mozilla has no code that can write to user.js.

As for mozilla.cfg, 1) it is obscured by simple byte-shift, 2) its first line is bypassed (and should be made an invalid JS code), and 3) must be referenced in all.js (or another default pref file) to work.

I don't understand how someone can change user.js/mozilla.cfg without already having access to the client computer.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html