Re: [Full-Disclosure] Erasing a hard disk easily

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Gregh wrote:

> Since that time I have seen sensationalist TV shows showing how FBI and
> CIA operatives get stuff out written to a sector BEFORE the sector was
> overwritten and I honestly cannot understand how that could be, if at
> all possible. Am I right in thinking those shows are bull?

It's quite possible.  Simply put, you record what's on the disk.  Then,
you wind up the gain on the read amplifiers and re-read, subtracting what
you read last time.  What's left is what got recorded over...

-- Dave

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html