Re: [Full-Disclosure] IE Web Browser: "Sitting Duck"

joe wrote:

Couple of things.

1. The conversation you are referring to was a conversation about issues
with core base components that necessitated a complete redesign. You kept
bringing up items that were NOT core base components - they were UI
components. IE being one of them. The very fact that you have a choice to
use a different browser should help you understand that. Try to use a
different ACL system on Windows NT based systems and tell me how that goes.

The choice to use a different browser doesn't imply that IE isn't a core base component at all.

Is it a part of the kernel? No...

Is it completely unremovable? Of course not...

Is it a part of the standard Windows UI? Yes...

Is it impossible to remove easily and difficult to remove cleanly? Yes...

Will removing it make many programs operate incorrectly? Yes...

I think you see where I'm going with this. It's a core component in MS Windows, though it may not be a part of the OS kernel, it is, nonetheless, undebatably, a core component of MS Windows as a software. Keep in mind, IE is more than just a simple executable. The DLLs that it uses are built to be used by other portions of the system and are extensively used. Of course, this is the nature of DLLs.

-Barry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html