Re: [Full-Disclosure] software burning cpu or mobo ?

On Friday 02 July 2004 13:11, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> > it is strange that mandrake damages some cdrom drives [1] and lm_sensors
> > damages some thinkpads [2] without any intention of doing so.
>
> AFAIK in both cases it is an accidental EEPROM/firware corruption rather
> than real physical damage.

True, but for all intents and purposes, the piece is still ripe for shredding
when this occurs. The thinkpad would need a new mainboard since it cannot be
restored back to its original state (thereby reducing it to a pile of junk),
and IIRC the Mandrake issue also could not be fixed without returning the
unit to the factory.

So, "real" damage or not (depending on your viewpoint), it still kills your
system, even beyond repair in most cases.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html