Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: PIX vs CheckPoint; IMHO Netscreen is farsuperior

In some mail from Gary E. Miller, sie said:

> > From: Darren Reed <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > > You gotta be more specific than FW-1. FW-1 can run over a large number
> > > of OS. You can get FW-1 for WinNT, Solaris, Linux, BSD . Each has the
> > > strengths and weaknesses of the underlying OS. Also FW-1 can run on a
> > > large number of hardware platforms, PCI, Compact-PCI, Sparc, etc. Each
> > > has it's strengths and weaknesses.
> >
> > I couldn't find the original for this in my inbox but the poster is wrong.
>
> You can always use the mailing list archives to find these things.  I
> am the original poster.

Yeah, but that requires much more effort :)

> Since I have personally used FW-1 on each of
> these platforms can you please tell me where my mistake is?

They don't advertise it for BSD.

> > For details on what platforms FW-1 is really supported on, see this
> > document:
> >
> > http://www.checkpoint.com/products/downloads/firewall-1_datasheet.pdf
>
> That is the exact document I used to refresh my memory.  Can you tell
> me which of my above items is NOT in that PDF?
>
> My guess is you are being fooled by the Nokia entry.  The Nokia is
> running a BSD variant OS and has Compact PCI as an option.  I used
> to manage 4 of them.  The others are explicitely in the pdf.

Nokia's OS is not the same as BSD.  Whilst it may have its roots in
FreeBSD, it isn't (strictly speaking) FreeBSD any more.

The way you write it "You can get FW-1 for .. BSD." implies you can buy
it as a software package and install it on BSD-OS/FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
the way you can for Linux/Windows/Solaris.

According to that PDF, this is not the case.

Darren

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html