Re: [Full-Disclosure] On PGP (was: Wiretap or Magic Lantern?)

Hello,

Thanks Tamas, I really got a kick out of the article. Especially your last paragraph, which really underscores my previous point: no need to go against the crypto head-on (although doing it anyway and suceeding is certainly nice, even if you only find some unimportant info like the love letters of the female suspected terrorist, you can use it later carefully in small drips to pressure her during the interrogation phase, since she may assume that you know far more than she thought.) when you can zoom in on them through the "human angle". Any reasonable police officer knows how to do the latter, and this is why the saying "there is no perfect crime" goes around in those circles.

Of course, this does not mean, that the fetisization of technology does not happen in the forces. Especially, since quite often (and quite wrongly) people believe that just by cracking the files on this device they would get all the info that they need and that getting that info any other way is hard, so frustration sets in. People are after quick success, you know :-) This is why some idiotic "anti-terrorist" legislation primarily focuses on technology and misses the larger picture (nicely stamping out human rights while at it too) Of course, fear of the unknown also plays a role: modern technology often is one of the great unknowns to people. But the cure for this is understanding the technology, and what it can and what it cannot do. But this is no easy task :-) as we all know.

Regards:
Sz.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html