Re: [Full-Disclosure] Wiretap or Magic Lantern?

Although this thread has now been more of a "full-discourse" :-) than anything else, let me add a few points here:

The fact that there is some advanced technology that we know (and may be some more that we don't know) about for text gathering and analysis and the fact that huge databases can be compiled of such information does not answer the question if it is feasible for a given task.

If all you are after is some general surveillance that is not directed at anybody in particular, but is more of the "keeping tabs on stuff as it happens" than sure, the tools are already there and there are several agencies around the world with the funding to use them. (This is like the radio surveillance that was very common during the Cold War: both sides had huge radio interception stations to monitor communictaions, both broadcasts and not. Those stations in many cases still exist btw, but we are not so sure what they are used for atm :-) This kind of operation is intended to call attention to activity that you might want to check out more closely, but in and of itself is not focused enough to gather info on say a particular individual or group. Btw this kind of op is a good supplement to other traditional methods like screening public and semi-public news channels and piecing together the "big picture" reading both the lines and between them. Big depts of your favourite spooking agencies do this everywhere.

If, on the other hand, you are after a specific person or group, you want to be more sure. For ex, if you want to get at all their phone calls or emails, your safest bet is still to sit right on their outgoing line (or at the first junction at the latest) in order not to miss out on anything. If the subject of your observation has several outgoing lines, well tough, you have to sit on them all. Otherwise, your subject might use for example Internet routes that do *not* cross the US, so your super spying equipment might not catch it. Today, the routing infrastructure is not as much dependent on the US as it used to be even a couple of years ago. For an example, try a traceroute from somewhere in Europe (I tried from Hungary) to say Irkutsk in the Russian Federation. While a couple of years ago your route would most certainly go through Frankfurt - London - New York - San Francisco and therefore would be very convenient for any US agencies, today it goes through eg Frankfurt - Stockholm - St. Petersburg - Moscow, bypassing the US entirely, which means that in the meantime our Russian friends have heavily inevested in the Trans-Siberian lines. Tough luck for any US-located spying equipment. And knowing that today even North Korea and Cuba have Internet access, we understand that inter-AS routing has become more of a politicum than ever before.

This is why traffic interception normally happens at the end provider level, because there you are much better situated to get all the info. In many (most?) countries the providers are obligated by law to allow this interception, install the necessary equipment and to not tell you about it. And quite often they must foot the bill too. If you look at the debates eg in Germany about the new Telecommunications Act this issue is very much in the news. Search for "preventive data interception and warehousing".

Regards:
Sz.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html