Re: [Full-Disclosure] Block notification / bounce mails (as in DDOS)

Niek Baakman wrote:
<question>
What would you do when a spammer uses your mail-address as the "From:" and the mails that are sent by the spammer get all bounced back by legitimated mail-servers to your mailhandlers? All the bounces would return to you - as you are the 'from' (assume a rate of 1.000 a minute) and this traffic would kill your network-connection. You wouldn't be able to receive any mail because your mailserver can no longer handle the load
</question>

- Apply filters on your mailserver.
These filters will not react because my mailserver 'is' already dead.
- If it doesn't harm other employees: temp. change the mx record.
How would changing my mx-records affect the outcome?
When the first mailhandler can't handle the load, mail will be picked up by the 'backup-mailserver'..but this would in effect only cascade to the other (backup)mailservers and as a result they would eventually also dye. I think this is only a solution if I can add serveral (and I mean lots of) backupmailservers so that the load is spread. I think this is not really an option.

Thanks for the reponse.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html