Re: [Full-Disclosure] Removing ShKit Root Kit

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 01:52:57PM -0600, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
> [...]

Keeping a backup of the data of the compromised box can be useful for
several purposes:
 - Offline analysis: how did cracker get into the box and what did he do,
   once he owned it?
 - What data was on the box (unless deleted by the cracker) and must
   therefore considered compromised?
 - Maybe it needs to be kept as evidence (but then better follow proper
   forensic data duplication procedures).
 - If you don't have current backups of the data and the data was worth
   keeping (most likely true) slap yourself silly with a wet towel
   because you (or your management) have been stupid. Try to recover the
   data from the box, but consider all of it well and truly mangled,
   after all, if your secret source code was on this box, the cracker
   might as well have hidden a nasty backdoor in there ...

Of course, restoring the data from known good backups is always better.

If you have proper backups, don't care for the analysis and just want to
have the machine back working, then just wipe, reinstall, secure, restore
and be done with it.

Regards,
        Alex.
--
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html