Re: [Full-Disclosure] Removing ShKit Root Kit

Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
<snip>
This advice is common, and it's always mystified me.  Why would you want
backups of the "data"?  If the box is compromised, you can't trust
*anything* on it, can you?  How can you know for certain that "data"
isn't a cleverly concealed backdoor?

Hmmm. Well, if the execute bit isn't set, then I'd assume it can be considered relatively safe. If the attacker can later find a way to chmod it and then execute it with the privliges needed to make it harmful, then I imagine that they could find other ways of compromising your machine as well.

For Windows, if it's a backdoor that is named something.txt, well, again, the attacker would have to find a way to rename that file and execute it with appropriate permissions. Again, I imagine that if they can do that, that they could find other ways of compromising your machine as well.

<snip>

Brian
--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html