From: full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com] On Behalf Of Tri Huynh
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:07
To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com; bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Cc: bugs@securitytracker.com; news@securiteam.com; vuln@secunia.com
Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Yahoo Instant Messenger YAUTO.DLL buffer overflow

Yahoo Instant Messenger YAUTO.DLL buffer overflow

PROGRAM: Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM)
HOMEPAGE: http://messenger.yahoo.com
VULNERABLE VERSIONS: 5.6.0.1347 and below

DESCRIPTION

YIM is one of the most popular instant messenger. This is a cool product,
that allows me to chat with my gf from a very long distant :-).

DETAILS

YAUTO.DLL is an ActiveX/COM component that comes with Yahoo Install
Messenger. YAUTO.DLL is registered under a ProgID called "YAuto.NSAuto.1".
In this component, there is a function named Open(String Url) that will
cause a buffer overflow if argument Url is passed with a long string. Since
this is an ActiveX component, the vulnerability can be exploited just by
making a website with the correct CLSID of the ActiveX and call the function
directly. We have successfully exploited the vulnerability by making a
website that can download a trojan and execute it silently.

WORKAROUND

Yahoo has been contacted at enterprisesales@yahoo-inc.com (this is the only
email that I can find on the Yahoo Messenger Site) but doesn't response
after 1 month. The workaround solution is deleting the YAUTO.DLL file in
your YIM directory.

CREDITS

Discovered by Tri Huynh from SentryUnion

DISLAIMER

The information within this paper may change without notice. Use of this
information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are
NO warranties with regard to this information. In no event shall the author
be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with
the use or spread of this information. Any use of this information is at the
user's own risk.

FEEDBACK

Please send suggestions, updates, and comments to: trihuynh@zeeup.com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.