[Full-Disclosure] Re: Fwd: Computers crashed just before blackout

> Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Fw: Computers crashed just before blackout
> To: Geoff Shively <gshively@pivx.com>
> Cc: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
>

> (notes below...)

You might be interested in an article we published last week:

---
Did the Worm Topple the Power Grid?
The IT Safety of the US Power Supply

By now, the cause of the massive blackout in the United States has been
more or less been determined. But for several days after the blackout, the
cause of the domino effect that pushed 21 power stations offline remained
obscure. Numerous leads pointed to a link between the events and the
W32.Lovsan worm that was simultaneously ravaging the Internet. Even if the
ongoing investigations should eventually come to a different conclusion,
once thing is certain: The IT systems of the energy utility companies are
vulnerable.

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/03/18/034/

bye, ju

--
Juergen Schmidt   Leitender Redakteur/senior editor  c't magazin
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag,  Helstorferstr. 7,  D-30625 Hannover

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html