[Full-Disclosure] All Caps means it's important, right? (was Re: {mumble} READ THIS!SURVEY!!)

Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> John Cartwright [johnc@grok.org.uk] wrote:
> > oN tHU, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:43:02AM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > > ALL LIST MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESPOND AND MAKE A CHOICE AS TO HOW
> > > THEY WANT THIS BASIC FUNCTION OF THE LIST TO CONTINUE OPERATING.

> > This has been covered several times... and we certainly *don't*
> > want this mail coming to the list. Feel free to mail myself or
> > Len on the subject. Discussions about subject line prefixes are
> > off-topic for a security list.

Yes, and I agree with you, and am still going to comment publicly. I've
realized that Chris collecting comments off-line leads to many problems,
among them basic distrust that the off-line comments won't be skewed toward
Chris' preference. Please note: I am NOT saying that I think this, but I AM
saying that it could be misconstrued.

> > > The subject header is going to change.
> >
> > Speaking as a maintainer of this list, I can assure you that this
> > is currently not the case :)

> Len said there needed to be a consensus on the list before he would make
> a change, but that it would be nice to change!

Pity I saw this before I saw John's email to the list, since I thought it
must mean it wasn't on the list (sorry, John). I'd vote first for choice 3.
If it ain't broke...

The number of posters to this list that CC other mailing lists seems to
grow daily, and we all know that we'll get multiple copies of same,
depending on how braindead the MTA of the other lists is. At least, with
the header, it's obvious where it came from. All too often I see follow-ups
to email here, where it appears first, and is cross posted again, and it's
so nice to realize that the conversation taking place in bugtraq or
wherever can be safely ignored, since I shall find it replicated in FD,
which will be more complete and timely in any case.

If you absolutely feel you must (and the "you" here implies John and Len),
change it to FD, or even FUD, but I'd really like to see it stay the same.
Please.

--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html