Re: [Full-Disclosure] HP Tandem NonStop servers

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:11:26 BST, =?iso-8859-1?q?david=20king?= <newsgroups789@yahoo.co.uk>  said:

> I was told by a few that the HP tandem NonStop servers are the most secure servers ?
>
> i have got myself a box and have been tasksed to do a security review.
>
> Does anyone have any recomdations/idea how i should go abt doing it ?

If you think the vendor matters anywhere *NEAR* as much as the sysadmin
who installed it, you probably shouldn't be doing a security review.

Tandem gear has a long reputation of being hardware-reliable (mostly through
lots and lots of redundancy).   I'd not be surprised if most of their security is
of the "via obscurity" variety - not many hacks available for it because not
many people have access to one.

Where to start?  The usual:

Unused services listening on ports
Null/default passwords
Un-needed software installed
Some sort of Tripwire-style software installed
System logging enabled, preferably with a copy to another machine
File/device permissions..

That's probably enough to get you going....

PGP signature