From: B3r3n@argosnet.com [mailto:B3r3n@argosnet.com]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 6:56 PM
To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
Subject: [Full-Disclosure] [UPDATE] ping floods

All,

What we have here at the moment is the following:

1) IntraNet machines are pinging to random IP addresses (both targetting
our IntraNet and outside)

2) From time to time, when a particular machine is pinging from a
subnet, it appears some new machines on that subnet are starting to ping
too.

3) these pings, grouped together, creates flooding (even if singlely
they seems to be ping with a 1/3s TTL delay) impacting the whole
IntraNet.

4) Checking a machine part of this ping "flood", we found nothing
suspicious (no unknown program, ...) but we dont master Windows
technology. The box was antivirused with a well-known vendor solution,
up-to-date in its virus definitions.

Our assumptions is this might be a brand new worm, not yet known to
antivirus companies (no news/alerts on their sites).

To solve, we applied on our routers routing the ICMP requests an
access-list to bar these requests. This globally solved the problem
until we can be able to solve each machine.

Thanks

Brgrds

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

		Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com