Re: [Full-Disclosure] msblast DDos counter measures (More Insight Maybe?)

First, I'll quote Carsten Truckenbrodt, because he already sent a message
explaining this:
------------snip------------
This might be a bad idea. If you let windowsupdate.com resolve to 127.0.0.1 the
following will happen: The worm uses spoofed IPs from the local /16 subnet as
source address. Pointing all the syn packets to 127.0.0.1 will generate a RST
packet from the local host to the spoofed IPs  and spread traffic over the
complete internal network.

Even blocking or routing the normally resolved IP to Null0 will be a lot work
because this domain is loadbalanced through the world. That means you get a
different resolution depending on your ISP or place in the world.

If you manipulate your DNS, you should give no A-Record back to the worm. With
this the worm will not start attacking anything. So setting up a nameserver zone
with only a SOA record will do the job for Saturday 0:00.
------------snap------------

Now me:
The worm sends out a DNS query attempting to resolve windowsupdate.com, the
answer is 127.0.0.1. The worm then, under the impression that 127.0.0.1 is
windowsupdate.com, sends SYN packets to 127.0.0.1 on port 80. The packets don't
even make it out onto the wire, or at least they shouldn't unless something is
broken. Instead, they get looped back to localhost. Localhost then looks at the
source address of the packet, but what's the source address? The source address
is a random IP on the local C class. The localhost then sends a RST packet to
the supposed source IP because port 80 is supposedly not open.

Therefore, this solution of resolving windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1 is a good
way to flood every network infected by this virus. Isolated storms behind the
router. Makes an interesting image, no?

Christopher Garrett III
Inixoma, Incorporated