Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS should point windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1

Schmehl, Paul L wrote:

> I just curious how you geniuses would solve this problem.  You have a
> multi-six figure scientific instrument, which is only manufactured by
> one vendor in the entire world.  Your research department depends upon
> that instrument to do research for which they are being funded
> handsomely by grants and expected to produce results.
>
> There's only one problem.  The instrument requires that you run Windows
> 2000 Server with IIS, and the vendor requires that you not apply *any*
> patches post SP2.  The government certifies the equipment at a certain
> patch level, and if the equipment is patched then the certification no
> longer applies, the research is no longer funded and you are now staring
> a six figure boat anchor.
<snip>
> 2) Minus points if you say "Don't allow access to the Internet.  It
> *requires* access to the Internet.  (IOW, it has to be able to connect
> to "live" IP address ranges, not private IPs.)

What *kind* of Internet access?  Any reason I can't put a firewall or proxy
of some sort between it and the Internet?  Maybe an IDS running as a router?

						BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html