Re: [Full-Disclosure] smarter dcom worm

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 02:08 pm, Joey wrote:

<SNIP>

> Since the exploit
> was released for the most "important" service in windows that supposedly
> makes windows impossible to run if you disable it, I think microsoft has no
> credibility to say their OSs are secure or "most secure version of windows
> ever" because there is NO SECURITY. Their server line is joke as well
> because the exploit effected them too. Think of someone with a limited user
> account at a university or co! rporate
>  windows 2000/2003 active directory managed network. With an unpatched DC,
> they would have the ability to have unrestricted access to everyone elses
> accounts ect by rooting it. Changing grades, stealing financial information
> ect.Just my two cents.

Two cents?  You got about 4-bits there!  No, really.  Give yourself a big,
shiny gold "I Get It."

It is an astounding testimony to the mighty power of the dollar, and M$'s
marketing apparat, that there continue to be "Business and Market
considerations" that continue to case this stuff to be deployed.  The
expensive, sub-optimal solution wins again!  Maybe the next worm will take
out the life work of a few MBA's, and these notions will occur to someone
_outside_ of engineering.

--
Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, Debianaut
farm9 Security

"What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
hour?"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html