ASLR now built into Vista

Address Space Layout Randomization is now part of Vista as of beta 2 [1] . I wrote about ASLR on the Windows platform back in September last year [2] and noted that unless you rebase the image exe then little (not none!) is added. ASLR in Vista solves this so remote exploitation of overflows has just got a lot harder. I've not done a thorough analysis yet but, all going well, this is a fantastic way for Microsoft to go and builds on the work done with NX/DEP and stack cookies/canaries.

Cheers,
David Litchfield

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/downloads/products/getthebeta/default.aspx
[2] http://www.ngssoftware.com/papers/xpms.pdf