To: "Memet Anwar" <mmta.gm@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: Circumventing quarantine control in Windows 2003 and ISA 2004

Any such quarantine control can be circumvented.

the Checkpoint VPN has a similar feature, which can be enabled if you
pay a pound of flesh per annum.  It can be circumvented in a similar
way - you have to replace a Checkpoint DLL with a custom compiled one,
such that the local checks will always return true.  I think the
specifics were posted either here or to FD a while ago.

There is just no way of verifying these things reliably.

You can raise the bar somewhat by doing the grading at the server end,
rather than telling the client the passing answers, but an attacker
who can figure out a reasonable set of answers will always win.

Cheers
Mark