Re: Checkpoint SYN DoS Vulnerability

On 5/17/06, Erick Mechler <emechler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:: SYNdefender is disabled on the Nokia/Checkpoint firewall. Nokia's response
:: after seeing the results of the scan has been that SYNdefender is still
:: functional even if we disable it and valid authorized scans won't be
:: allowed from the firewall as that is a product limitation!

The most vocal piece of feedback I gave to CheckPoint back when I used
their FW-1 products was to provide a Big Red Button(tm) to disable all of
the SmartDefense functionality.  It was never made very clear to me, as the
admin, when those things kicked-in, and how they would effect my traffic
flow.  I haven't used FW-1 in the last 12 months, so this might have been
addressed, but I can't say for sure.

It wasn't - that's the problem. As I said in my first post, I've
experienced numerous problems with the Smart Defense module, which
doesn't care what your rules are setup like.
You just can't allow *ALL* traffic to go to the destination. Smart
Defense seems to be working on a lower level than the rules (or has
higher priority, the end result is the same) so if the SD module finds
your traffic inappropriate, it will drop it no matter what's in the
rules.

That's why I suspected that the SYN Defense module gets activated no
matter what's in the rules.

So, a question for Sanjay: can you setup a tcpdump sniffer in front
and behind, just to log all packets. Then run your scans and see what
happens at the both ends. You can post pcap files somewhere so people
can look at them as well (just sanitize the IP addresses, if you need
to).

Cheers,

Bojan