Re: Joint encryption?

hi:

as a former cryptanalyst i've found simple solutions are usually best
(and quite often if cryptography is the answer, the problem isn't very
well understood.)  i don't have enough information to understand
precisely what you're trying to accomplish, but assuming your primary
objective is to retrieve a key if a 'trusted' participant is missing,
why not look into RSA's nightingale?

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2424

it's good for splitting a key into two pieces.  if you want to split
it among more, you can use shamir, but don't forget that what appears
mathematically elegant isn't usually efficient computationally.

if you need to split keys across more than two parties, and you can
afford to pre-judge the maximum number of participating parties (N),
you could always try using a polynomial curve in which you pick an
equation of order N-1.  if you really want to tax your springer-verlag
library, try using a dynamical system (cyclotomic polynomials are
interesting.)

cheers-
peter