Re: SHA-1 broken

Michael Silk wrote:
Michael,

 But wouldn't it render a login-based hashing system resistant to the
current hashing problems if it is implemented something like:

 --
 result = hashFunc1( input + hashFunc1(input) + salt )
 //

I assume you mean hashFUnc2 inside the parentheses (I'll refer to it as that anyway, for clarity).

No it won't, because if hashFunc2 has collisions the resulting output will collide in hashFunc1 as well. The collision resistance in this case is somewhat less than that of hashFunc2 (because two different outputs of hashFunc2 might collide in hashFunc1, and collisions in hashFunc2 will always produce the same output from hashFunc1) and not, as someone else suggested, the smallest of the two.

If the attacker doesn't know this is how the algorithm works, he might be stumped for a whole five minutes or so, but a strong hash isn't supposed to depend on the algorithm not being known.

If you didn't mean hashFunc2 inside the parentheses, you have actually lessened the collision resistance, owing to the possibility that two different outputs might collide as well.

 We can see that the input to the functions is the same, so although a
collision could be found within one or the other but it would not give
the correct result unless the hashFunc1( foo ) = hashFunc2( foo )
where foo is the magical input that gives the same result as "bar"
(the initial password).

-- Michael