RE: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor Account Allows Authenticated Users to Modify Votes

Greetings and Salutations:

From: David Brodbeck
> You're missing the social dynamics around it.  There are
> several parties
> involved:
<snip>
> - The public.  They don't understand these issues either, and
> they have a short attention span.

Let me add one more social dynamic.  The public will want to see instantaneous
vote results, so eventually these computers will be networked to send the
results back to a central voting computer ... And we are all familiar with how
easily networked computer can be compromised if they aren't locked down.  Now
we are also discussing Man In The Middle attacks, etc.

(Which to me adds yet another social dynamic, if people see one person is
winning that might change or sway their vote)

The OSes had *better* be locked down and secure.  The only way to verify that
is to either blindly attacked the box or have a open box that is inspected by
real independent observers.

Ken
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and
quick to anger.
Ken Hollis - Gandalf The White - gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxx - O- TINLC
WWW Page - http://gandalf.home.digital.net/
Trace E-Mail forgery - http://gandalf.home.digital.net/spamfaq.html