Open Security Group Advisory #6

List,

In May, Open Security Group started a media player security audit to drive out
defects in popular media player code with the hope
of helping secure our networks, machines and users from malicious attackers.

As the second stage of this project, I released an advisory on August 8th,
2004, regarding a new local && remote vulnerability in
Xine Media Player [www.xinehq.de] that will allow for an attacker to execute
code on a Linux / UNIX machine running the player. This vulnerability is very
similar to the bug I found in MPlayer, details of which can be found at the
following links:

http://open-security.org/advisories/5
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2027
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/367301/2004-06-23/2004-06-29/0

Sadly, I received the standard email from the Bugtraq mailing list stating that
the message had not been actioned and as such was
returned.... so I can?t understand why my work ended up in the
securityfocus.com vulnerability archive, yet it was not shared with the
subscibing community. Selective information dissemination is not very helpful.

        http://securityfocus.com/bid/10890/info/

Now since this vulnerability is just as serious as the Mplayer bug, I can?t see
any good reason why this information should be withheld from the community any
longer. Therefore, I am again hoping to rely on Bugtraq maintainers seeing fit
to post my advisory to the community so that they too can benifit from having
this important information.

Just in case this post does not adhere to the ?securityfocus standard? which
is... I have no idea.... I have also posted this message to the full-disclosure
group.

My original Xine advisory can be found for your perusal at the following links:

        http://open-security.org/advisories/6

        http://secunia.com/advisories/12194/
        http://secwatch.org/advisories/1008390
        http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/16930