Re: First vulnerabilities in the SP2 - XP ?...

Hi,

> http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051
I also read this yesterday (the German version) and I think it's not a
vulnerability. It's IMO a misconception in the way how SP2 treats alien
executables. And on the other hand it does not actually lower the value of
SP2 concerning security - because the rest of SP2 already boosted security
(this time despite compatibility issues - thanks to MS for finally skipping
compatibility in favor of security). But I agree with the author that MS
should fix this anyway!

Can someone please check if ShellExecute()/ShellExecuteEx() behave different
from the CreateProcess-functions *)? Could that be the reason?
Where is the information stored, that a file was downloaded - ADS? - EAs?
... some arcane new feature?

Oliver

*) CreateProcess, CreateProcessAsUser, CreateProcessWithLogonW,
CreateProcessWithTokenW

--
May the source be with you, stranger ... ;)