Re: [Full-Disclosure] Clear text password exposure in Datakey's tokens and smartcards

I don't doubt the widespread inherent nature of this vulnerability.

Smart cards used with PCs as the man-machine-interface is simply asking for trouble IMHO. Unless I'm mistaken, there is very little that can be done about this without redesigning/replacing current smart cards. Obviously, bespoke MMIs (such as door access systems) are less vulnerable to this issue. My problem is that people seem to view smart cards as a panacea, as a place to store digital certificates or 'identities' and then use them to 'prove' who they are.

Don't even start me on biometrics; if there is a PC (or anything that runs software) between the reader and the authenticator then couldn't you just replace the reader with another bit of software that pretends to be a reader? Where can I get the biometric info required? Police stations have a large quantity of finger prints, as have practically every surface you've touched recently...

Kev

This exposure, of PIN compromise, is genric in all smartcard products today,
unless a dedicated PINpad or biometric-sensor equipped readers are used -
putting cost of ownership towards $1000 in some cases.
PC/SC doesn't help - as a data interfcae API spec, it excludes human
interface aspects. STIP (Small Terminal Interoperability Platform at
www.stip.org) moves in this direction, but has evolved into many variants to
interoperate with proprietary vendors and proprietary industry standards.

The challenges in putting biometric sensors or PINpads onto cards include
the need to conform to ISO 7816 for form factor, physical resilience etc,
and that the cards are unpowered.  Or, someone redesigns the entire
form-factor, user interface model, portability and business model -
something that has previously failed to go anywhere.

Something like a mobile phone or PDA is a good compromise tool to this
overall exposure, imho.

Lyal