Re: After Ms patches last Wed ...

> I was told a Win2K user at work experienced the same thing.  Seems that
> Microsoft may not have spent enough time testing one of these patches on the
> Win2K platform.  Dunno which one, since in recent years I'd found
> Microsoft's patches to be well-tested enough that I haven't made a point to
> apply them only one at a time so I could identify faulty ones, as I found it
> necessary to do in past years.

I had neither one of the issues mentioned in this thread; but did have a single
workstation (out of about 25) start spewing windows file protection error
messages for almost every system file. The disturbing thing was that even after
the box had access to the installation media (which wfp uses to roll back to
the original file), the errors just kept coming. In the event log, the service
was writing more error messages saying that the file could not be replaced
because the signatures didn't match.

I'm planning on reinstalling; but didn't have time this week so I disabled wfp
by hex editing sfp.dll to turn the damn thing off. (Incidentally, I *love*
windoze services that you can't control. That way I can't accidentally hurt
myself. Thanks MS!)

The machine is SP4 fully patched with virusscan fully updated. I did some
additional security auditing and didn't find anything strange. Everything
started going to hell after applying the latest patches.

Anyone else?

Geoff Froh
Technical Manager

Densho