"Delete anti-virus and firewall software" --Microsoft

Isn't the "Resolution" in this Knowledge Base article a little, uh, ill-advised:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820673>

Isn't this the same company that says things like this under "Mitigating Factors" in their security bulletins:

"Firewall best practices and standard default firewall
configurations can help protect networks from remote attacks
originating outside of the enterprise perimeter. Best practices
recommend blocking all ports that are not actually being used.
For this reason, most systems attached to the Internet should
have a minimal number of the affected ports exposed."

Unless you want to use Outlook, I guess.

I don't even want to think about the implications of Microsoft *encouraging* Outlook users to uninstall anti-virus software...

--
Kim Scarborough                                  http://www.unknown.nu/kim/