        From: graham.coles@retail-logic.com
[mailto:graham.coles@retail-logic.com]
        Sent: Wed 10/29/2003 2:14 AM
        To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com; Thor Larholm
        Subject: Re: Mac OS X vulnerabilities ['Virus checked"]

        I usually download main updates (10.2.8) and security patches from
        http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple

        There's also an automated update from within OS X which will check
        for and install patches automatically.

        These are non-chargeable updates, I believe the price you quote is
        for a single user copy of Mac OS X.

        Regards,

        Graham Coles

                              "Thor Larholm"

                              <thor@pivx.com>          To:       "@stake
Advisories" <advisories@atstake.com>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>
                                                       cc:
<product-security@apple.com>
                              28/10/2003 19:23         Subject:  Re: Mac OS X
vulnerabilities ['Virus checked"]

        I couldn't find any security contacts on apple.com that didn't look
        fee-based so
        I am asking here in response to these latest disclosures of security
        vulnerabilities in Mac OS X.

        When most vendors are notified of security vulnerabilities in their
        products,
        they produce a patch for the affected versions of the software and
        distribute it
        for free. Does Apple plan to distribute a free patch for these security
        vulnerabilities to Mac OS X 10.2, or will my clients have to spend $129
per
        workstation (the single user upgrade price) to have their Apple computer
        stay
        secure?

        Regards
        Thor Larholm
        PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher
        http://pivx.com/larholm/ - Get our research, join our mailinglist

        <snip
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/342735/2003-10-25/2003-10-31/0

        > Mac OS X Systemic Insecure File Permissions
        > This is fixed in Mac OS X 10.3
        <snip
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/342725/2003-10-25/2003-10-31/0

        > Mac OS X Arbitrary File Overwrite via Core Files
        > This is fixed in Mac OS X 10.3
        <snip
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/342730/2003-10-25/2003-10-31/0