Re: XLS Attack on AES (Rijndael)

latte1@hushmail.com wrote:
I read, some time ago, about a new form of attack on
the AES algorithm: Rijndael...

Since then I have not heard any more about it, so I
was wondering what the latest thoughts on this method
are ? Is is currently being researched, etc, etc...

Largely FUD (or FUDGE, if you will), and the inference drawn (AESbroken) is unwarranted. Robshaw and Murphy seem to be voicing an aesthetic objection to the marked linearity in the diffusion layer -- even though they clearly state that this offers no clear advantage to conventional linear and differential cryptanalysis. Also note that Robshaw worked on RSA's finalist candidate (RC6) for AES, though he appears never to have been given adequate credit.

The question to ask is:  How well does Rijndael meet the design goals
established by the NIST?"  And the answer, quite simply, is: "very well."