RE: base64

Keep in mind that canonicalization, or any other sort of rewriting, is
considerably more complex than scanning for invalid syntax and rejecting,
and so it's more prone to be fragile and have bugs itself.

I agree, though, that there won't be a universal solution.  For my own
incoming email, I'd prefer a strict filter that rejects (or more likely
quarantines for further study) any messages with invalid Base64 or MIME
syntax.  With the amount of email traffic I get, and the proportion likely
to fall into that category, that's manageable.  But large organizations with
many nontechnical users will obviously have different requirements.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus